Albert Einstein once said, “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler”. This is what a UI/UX design is like.
Confused?? Let’s dig deeper…
First of all, what is UI/UX design?
User eXperience – The basic concept of UX design is ‘How a Product Feels?’ It is all about knowing the various needs of the users and how to meet the exact needs of the user. UX creates a simple user-friendly environment for a user so that he can fulfil his needs and necessity in a much easier way and without any fuss. UX design consists of a complete understanding of the user.
User Interface – UI design lay emphasis on ‘How the Product will be Laid Out?’ UI is a system with the help of which users can interact with the machine. It helps users accomplish their goals effectively. A user should be able to understand a page easily. The interface is all about how it looks and how it works. An UI designer works with Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. User Interface focuses on the user experience and maximum usability. Its main goal is to keep everything simple, clear and consistent.
Now how to know whether a UI/UX design is good for its users??
The answer to the question comes under the core principles of the UI/UX design. One would think, what could be some great principles to create a good UX design? What should be points on which one should focus to create a good User Interface?
Let’s see if we can clear things up a bit!!
We need principles so that we can decide when is something vague and uncertain and when is it correct. Some of the key fundamentals of UX design are:
KEEP IT SIMPLE AND CLEAR
The user should not get confused and should not find anything fussy or going over his head. Users are generally familiar with many of the components used in web. Give priority to using such components so that it becomes simpler for the users. Add right and appropriate details at the right and appropriate time.
Our eyes find it easier to work with a thing which is a bit familiar to them. To make user experience awesome, keep it familiar. Just remember that user is not like you. For example, we always find the Log in button on the top right corner of any website.
PEOPLE DON’T READ WEBSITES, THEY SCAN THEM
It is necessary to make your website or web page scannable because generally, people do not read the contents of a website. Make our website attractive and simple.
The experience of various websites and apps should be delightful for a user. It gives them the satisfaction that the time they invested in looking for the website didn’t got wasted and they found something useful. Show people friendly face, give them confidence and put a smile on their faces.
KNOW YOUR USER
You should know what kind of people are looking your website or app. Keep an idea what a user would be expecting from your website. Is your website or app up to date for the advancing users?
Keeping all these points in mind one can develop a good UX design.
Now let’s explore some of the core principles of an UI design
The user should be made clear about certain things while he is using a website or app. These questions could be like… What will he gain from the website or app? Where is he presently? What all he accesses on the website or app?
It helps the user to become familiar with those things which were unknown to him earlier. It helps things to become less messy, plus user need not do much of hard work. A consistent design is a must. It helps the different elements of the website look alike, which is important to keep your design simple and clear.
To attract more users towards your web page, you should know where to get creative and where to use common design patterns. The view in which a user looks at your web page is very important.
Again familiar things seem nice and the user is comfortable.
Now as a beginner one would say “Okay, I now know how to make sure that an UI/UX design is good enough. But what could be some resources I could use to learn further about these fields?” Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered on that.
Here are some things you could do to enrich your knowledge:
1. BOOKS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND… READ BOOKS – A good book will ground you in UI/UX fundamentals. If you really need to switch to the UX career, then you need to read a lot of stuff. Reading books will make your task easier and will make you more knowledgeable. Some of the good books for the beginners are:
- Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug
- Design Elements by Timothy Samara
- Design Is How It Works by Jay Greene
- 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People by Susan Weinschenk
- Free ebook Web UI Design for the Human Eye
- You can also read some useful blogs like UX & Usability Articles from Nielsen Norman Group, UX Magazine, Usability Geek.
2. LEARN FROM THE BIG DESIGNERS – Looking at some of the great designs from some of the great designers can help you in thinks of new ideas and innovation. Learning from the experienced people helps develop a lot. This thing will also help you to be up to date with the new designs trending in the market.
3. BEWARE OF THE UX MYTHS – There are many misconceptions regarding UX like:
- Success happens overnight
- Design is all about making website look good
- Simple means minimal
- User is like you
- If your design is good then the small details do not matter.
4. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE – This is the main thing what a beginner requires to do. Learning UX, practising UX design is the basic necessity for a beginner to become a great designer.
5. DON’T FORGET THE CORE PRINCIPLES